Thursday, October 8, 2009

Retirement Living for the New Millenium



LAST WEEK, WHILE FORAGING FOR THINGS SPECIAL AND RARE FOR MY READERS, I DISCOVERED a video link to Nikki Silva, a woman I suppose to be about my age who talks about her “commune.” Though she and the others there never called it communal living, I like the idea and I think Nikki and her pals are pioneers of something we need to rethink—especially today.

Call it whatever you want, but in these stressful days of our tenuous world situation, health care costs gone amok, an economy on the brink of collapse, why don’t more close friends (families) go in together and live in a collective compound? There, you can grow vegetables, help each other as you grow older, find a collective solution to the high expense of survival. I am thinking, like Nikki and her group, find a plot of land of 10 or 20 acres—build your individual homes around a central spot. This doesn’t mean you give up all you have worked for, but you agree to build sustainable homes, limit your footprint on the earth and live with an extended network of friends who are there for each other.

It’s like having all of your best friends and family living in the same cul-de-sac (only cooler!). Living communally means you have a common bond to care and watch out for each other. Yes, I am a bit of a dreamer, I guess.

The skeptic in me is smart enough to ask: “what about the couple who divorces? What about the husband who won’t help out in the garden?” Well, there’s an app for that.

It’s called rules. Husband doesn’t want to do gardening—he mows the yards, or shovels snow in the winter. Getting a divorce? Sorry, life goes on. So, who’s leaving the compound? You just work hard to find the right friends from the get go. I think the plan has a better chance of survival if all couples are nearing retirement age, say in your mid-fifties. That way, most of your crazy, youthful junk is behind you. And, now, in your own private retirement “community,” if you fall and can’t get up there’s always someone nearby to help.

I know. You are either laughing right now at my idealistic plan or you are thinking “hmm-m, sounds like an idea. What if-f-f....”

6 comments:

Peter Faur said...

Or ... road trip! One long road trip till we run out of gas.

Maureen said...

Sign me up!

missy said...

not crazy at all! this kind of idea has been my ideal for many many years now. i have sketchbooks full of small house plans, garden lists, endless notes on the skills needed, location thoughts, etc forever. i think perhaps the trickiest part will be gathering people who understand the intent and can truly commit to it. it seems likely to me that a truly shared dream is ultimately the most sustainable reality.

The pale observer said...

What about infidelity among the couples? I just found out a relative left his wife for someone at age 76! Human nature in small groups says it could happen more often...

Am I being a skeptic? :)

I do think it's a cool idea though.

John Foster said...

Hi Pale Observer: There is no accounting for human nature. Sure that could happen. One said he would hate a living arrangement like this.. says he would find some personality trait about a person he didn't like and it would become magnified in his head and then he would have to see that person every day, which would drive him nuts. All these reasons are why Utopian Societies always failed... I guess.

Kym said...

Interesting concept....love the way that the place came together and how the narrator had said that they do fight...like family would...My family has always playfully suggested that we buy a piece of land and build our houses on it in order to take care of each other when we are older! Thanks for sharing this!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...