Saturday, October 10, 2009

19th Century Folk Art Figural Bench









HERE IS AN INTERESTING AND MARVELOUS OBJECT. I SPOTTED THIS ON EBAY. THE SELLER DESCRIBES IT AS FOLLOWS:

“As you look at my close-up photographs of this wonderful antique American folk art carved, figural bench, you can see that it was not just an ornamental carving. You can see by the many cut marks on the bench and on the top of the young boys head that this was a workbench. There is a shallow hole at the top of the boy’s head, which was used to hold something. There’s another work hole near the bottom. Because of the untouched surface, it is difficult to identify exactly what species of hard wood this bench is carved from, but it is a light colored hard wood such as Maple. The young boy measures approximately 25 ½ inches tall and the overall length is approximately 43 inches. The back legs are approximately 23 inches apart and the height at the middle of this early folk art workbench is 14 ½ inches.”

I’d like to know what you think about this object, readers.

7 comments:

Dull Tool Dim Bulb said...

Marvelous? Yes. Maple? Maybe not. I have found when a seller goes out of his way to say "American" it frequently isn't. Just my opinion, and I'd have to sit on it to be sure.

John Foster said...

Yes, I agree Jim. Feels African to me...it is an interesting piece no matter where it is from.

Maureen said...

Now wait, doesn't he also have an erection?

The pale observer said...

Is anybody considering the sexual side of this carving? The bum hole, the penis???

Very strange - but very interesting. Do they know the origin of the piece???

John Foster said...

Maureen and pale observer, well, I was going to title this piece "Got Wood?" but I thought I would let it go. Why yes, the lil' feller does appear to have a woody and there is a well-used hole in the top of his head. I wouldn't know what to call that. maybe it was used in some sort of sexual ritual where the word "Yee Haw!" were uttered. As for the origin, they say it's American—nothing more.

Maureen said...

Don't want to think about the hole in his head but the one on the back is even creepier. Or is just me?

The pale observer said...

I think you shoulda gone there and called it 'Got Wood'! And I wouldn't let you kids play on that... :)

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...