Thursday, April 1, 2010

Snapshots (to be imagined)

(Above) “Papa opened his store to great crowds, but the stock market crash was just around the corner. 1928.” Click image for larger view.


(Above) “We were all shocked to see the calf born with 2 heads.” Click image for larger view.


(Above) 1. “Hungry boys.” 2. “Shy Sarah tries to hide.” 3. “Balancing on the fence post was not easy!” Click image for larger view.


(Above) 1. “Uncle Norfleet and his talking dog were the hit of the party.” Click image for larger view.

(Above) 1. “The tornado tore down the barn but not our house... thank God!!” Click image for larger view.


(Above) 1. “Gramps died the next day.” 2. “Mama’s decorated cake won First Prize at the Topeka State Fair in 1936.” Click image for larger view.


MANY OF YOU KNOW THAT I COLLECT SNAPSHOTS, vernacular photography and found objects that interest me and challenge my thinking. Last week I came across these vintage scrapbook pages, with the pictures long ago removed. Adding captions of my own, I present the first ever on-line exhibition of “Snapshots (to be imagined).”

I hope you enjoy these found images as much as I have, and for you animal lovers, please forgive me if the snapshot of the 2-Headed Calf offends you. If it does, I will gladly remove it.


Found photos © Accidental Mysteries.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, this would make an amazing artists' book. imagine the form as a commercial run designed to look like an old photo album....

Anonymous said...

This is fun! I instantly could see all of the pictures in my head.

All of them properly in the worn-down b/w-look matching their age.

What a great idea.

rina said...

great idea :) I enjoyed them

Stephen Romano said...

incredible!! what an amazing thing to notice john, you trully have an eye !!

Unknown said...

great pages, especially liked
the Uncle Norfleet and his talking dog !!!
I might need to use it sometime.

Hannah Stephenson said...

Good lord. I'm freaking out over this.

Coolest. Ever.

Catherine McEver said...

absolutely wonderful - in the "false memories" category.

WarsawNan said...

Don't get it.

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...