Saturday, April 11, 2009

Urban Letterforms

Click any image for a larger view.

Click any image for a larger view.

“TYPE THE SKY” BY LISA RIENERMANN IS AN ALPHABET FORMED OF SHAPES buildings make against the sky when photographed from below.

According to the original post on the German typographic blog Slanted, the alphabet was created by Rienermann while studying at the University of Duisburg-Essen.

“It began with the Q,” she tells Slanted. “I was in a kind of courtyard in Barcelona. I looked upward and saw houses, the blue sky and clouds. The more I looked, I saw that the houses formed a letter Q.”

“I set out to find more letterforms, spending weeks looking upwards. The more difficult letters such as Q and K were the easiest to find.”

Reinermann admits that the use of Photoshop “was a help, here and there.” The final alphabet was presented as a booklet, inside a slip case box.

2 comments:

Kim and David said...

GREAT unique approach! This is amazing - I'm so into letters. Kim

John Foster said...

Me-e too!Especially the ones you find at the antique shows—weathered and with those great patina's.

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...