Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Brush With Fame

(Above) Gregory Peck and Mary Badham, on the set of “To Kill a Mockingbird.” Click image for much larger view.


(Above) Gregory Peck, Click image for much larger view.


(Above) Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner, Click image for much larger view.


(Above) Gregory Peck, Click image for much larger view.

(Above) Gregory Peck, Click image for much larger view.

(Above) Gregory Peck and Polly Bergen, Click image for much larger view.

(Above) Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren, Click image for much larger view.


(Above) Natalie Wood, Click image for much larger view.

(Above) Marlon Brando, Click image for much larger view.

(Above) Grace Kelly, Click image for much larger view.

(Above) Audrey Hepburn, Click image for much larger view.

(Above) Katherine Hepburn, Click image for much larger view.

(Above) Brigitte Bardot, Click image for much larger view.

(Above) The immortal Jimmy Stewart, Click image for much larger view.

(Above) Katherine Hepburn, Click image for much larger view.


(Above) Nancy Sinatra, her father Frank and Yul Brenner next to unidentified man with high pants. Click image for much larger view.



ABOUT 20 SOME YEARS AGO, I WAS at the beautifully restored Saint Louis Union Station, a marvelous hotel and shopping area in our city. I was just standing there, looking at the craftsmanship and art of the architecture, when I happened to looked up. Walking directly towards me was... could it be?... yes?... wow!... was Gregory Peck.

I had no idea he was even in St. Louis but there he was—all 6’ 3” of this amazing man. I was standing near the stairs, leading to the taxicab station outside. He was just a few feet in front of me when our eyes met, and I smiled and said “Hello Mr. Peck.” In his charming voice and with that amazing sparkle in his eyes, he answered simply “hel-loo.” It was my brush with fame—a memory that was etched that day in my memory.

All of this spurred from these pictures I found of the Golden Age of Hollywood, which began in the 1920s and lasted until the early 1960s. Here are some candid B&W images from Hollywood, caught by photographers when Hollywood was golden and Lindsay Lohan free.

Via here.

10 comments:

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

BRIGITTE BARDOT IS SIMPLY GORGEOUS!

Daria Hlazatova said...

lucky you! i loooove Gregory Peck, especially in Hitchcock's Spellbound. he's a great actor!

Sherry said...

What a wonderful memory, the photos are awesome.

To kill a Mocking bird is simply my favorite book and one of my favorite movies.

xoSherry

Joey said...

Growing up in L.A., I've had quite a few celebrity sightings over the years, but my best was when I was working at the front desk of a small art museum in Santa Monica. I was still in college at the time, maybe 20 yrs old. Tommy Lee Jones walked in, looked around for a second and gave me a $20 bill for admission. I thought I was playing it cool, but I guess my nerves showed, because as I was counting out his change into his hand he said (in a perfect Texas twang) "C'mon son, don't be scared..."

Lol!

Amanda Summer said...

great story john!! and the fotos from to kill a mockingbird are wonderful - mary badham spoke at the u city library last year and she autographed a similar foto for my son --- our brush with fame!!

xoxo

Colin said...

Gregory Peck was what movie stars used to be- larger than life talent.
Great Pics!

Yvette said...

Great story! Great pictures. Coincidentally I too have a Gregory Peck story. Many years ago I worked for Decca Records in Manhattan. I think Universal pictures was also in the same building. At any rate, I remember once waiting downstairs for the elevator at lunch, when who should come in the front doors but Gregory Peck (at the height of his gorgeous fame) and his elegant French wife. I was thunderstruck. Could not speak to save my life. I merely stared. To this day Peck remains the handsomest man I've ever seen in real life.

e said...

Mr Peck was/is my favourite actor, so i've enjoyed looking at these wonderful photos of him. One of those rare instances where the hero on screen was one in real life as well. He was a regular patron of the Met, always seated in the front row. I admit i may have watched him more than the opera! ;)

Susan Moorhead said...

Lucky you. He was dashing. And oh for the days of the classy celebrity.

pedalpower said...

Such an elegant man...lucky you, to have seen him in person!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...