Thursday, February 19, 2009

Art Excavation

(click on any image for a larger view)



THANKS TO FELLOW BLOGGER Trixie Treats, I was able to discover these wonderful paintings by an artist named Greg Gossel. Greg uses a variety of materials and techniques on these 2 to 3 foot canvases, like silkscreen, acrylic, collage, spray paint, paint stick, paper white out, etc. What I like about these is the raw, multi-layered approach, like decayed billboards over time. Lichtenstein’s work is a bland chicken broth compared to this spicy jambalaya—a mixture of found, appropriated and excavated pop culture, comics, old advertisments, grafitti and paint. (Of course, we may not even be looking at Gossel’s work without the ground-breaking work of Lichtenstein, Warhol and the others, so apologies to them!) This is hipster-styled street art ready to hang.

Check out Greg’s art at: www.greggossel.com.

3 comments:

Colin said...

Great stuff! I'm sure you know of the great local collagists (can I say that?), David Langley & Jon Cournoyer- they kick hindquarters!

John Foster said...

I do indeed!

headwrapper said...

I like. Reminds me a little of some of the Warhol/Basquiat collaborations and also Michael T Hensley

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...